Plenty of stray cats here, and they live as easily as any human can hope to imagine. Yesterday, I saw one lay down on the steps in front of a busy entrance to a supermarket. Not off in a corner, right in the middle. Just lazily observing all those people coming and going and thinking to themselves, that yes, here is a cat, we must all go around. If there is time, perhaps we will pet it, but for now, we will have to find an alternate route or just step over it.
So I stood next to it for a bit - well, off to one side as I might be more difficult for people to step over - just for a few minutes to see what the life of a cat on the outskirts of Dubai was like. Momentarily, a short Indian man with a toddler in his arms, stopped in front of the cat and made a meowing sound. The toddler looked at the cat and giggled. The cat looked up and catted. The Indian man saw me observing and smiled and I smiled back. Then the man and his happy kid headed off in one direction. A few moments later I headed off on my own. The cat, it took a nap.
So I stood next to it for a bit - well, off to one side as I might be more difficult for people to step over - just for a few minutes to see what the life of a cat on the outskirts of Dubai was like. Momentarily, a short Indian man with a toddler in his arms, stopped in front of the cat and made a meowing sound. The toddler looked at the cat and giggled. The cat looked up and catted. The Indian man saw me observing and smiled and I smiled back. Then the man and his happy kid headed off in one direction. A few moments later I headed off on my own. The cat, it took a nap.

No comments:
Post a Comment